Harare baffled by US sanctions move

Top Stories Zimbabwe

ZTN Reporter

HARARE is baffled by allegations that it poses an unusual and extraordinary threat to the foreign policy of the United States.

The Southern African country’s Government says it strongly objects to the “unfounded assertion” that Zimbabwean security forces engaged in acts of extrajudicial killings and rape against its own citizens last year.

The allegations being rebuked by Harare were raised by US President Donald Trump as he announced a one-year extension of the sanctions that Washington has had on Zimbabwe since 2003.

In a statement on Thursday Zimbabwe’s Government spokesperson Nick Mangwana said they had noted, with dismay, the decision to extend the embargo.

“Government has noted with dismay the White House message to the United States Congress, in which a decision was made to extend the sanctions against the Republic of Zimbabwe for one more year,” said Mangwana.

“Once again the Government of the United States has chosen to strangely characterise Zimbabwe as a country that poses an extraordinary threat to the foreign policy of the United States. We find this a baffling position.

“All that Zimbabwe asks for is to be allowed space to be a full member of the community of nations, transacting without restrictions as other nations do.

“We do not seek to interfere in the foreign policy or interests of any nation and we have no history of doing that.”

In announcing the one-year extension of the embargo President Trump said: “The actions and policies by certain members of the Government of Zimbabwe and other persons to undermine Zimbabwe’s democratic processes or institutions continue to pose an unusual and extraordinary threat to the foreign policy of the United States.

“For this reason, the national emergency declared on March 6, 2003, and the measures adopted on that date, on November 22, 2005, and on July 25, 2008, to deal with that emergency, must continue in effect beyond March 6, 2020.”