77 of the 80 doctors who have so far appeared for disciplinary hearings have been found guilty and have since been discharged from public service, the Health Services Board (HSB) has said.
In a statement on Tuesday HSB chairman, Dr Paulinus Sikosana said the doctors were being charged in terms of section 4 of the Labour (National Employment Code of Conduct), Regulations, Statutory Instrument 15 of 2006 (the Code).
“Seventy-seven of the 80 doctors were found guilty of absenting themselves from duty without leave or reasonable cause for days ranging from five or more and discharged from the health service,” said Dr Sikhosana.
He said the HSB is continuing with hearings which are expected to be concluded by November 15 2019.
The doctors defied a labour court ruling of October 11 to return to work after their job action was deemed illegal.
The doctors stopped reporting for duty citing what they termed incapacitation.