Warriors go on strike
… AFCON opener hangs in the balance!!
Zimbabwe’s 2019 Africa Cup of Nations campaign in Egypt is in jeopardy.
This is after threats by players to boycott the opening match in protest over daily allowances and appearance fees.
Zimbabwe face Egypt in their first group A match in Cairo on Friday.
ZTN Sport understands the Warriors halted their preparations for the big game, with unconfirmed reports that some players had initiated the process of securing tickets to return home.
However, Zimbabwe Football Association board member (finance) Philemon Machana had earlier in the week claimed the situation was under control.
“Yes, deliberations were ongoing, but there was never a time when we said we were not talking to each other,” Machana told ZTN Sport.
“As we speak, Zifa have contracts signed by each and every player. So, as far as we are concerned, everyone signed; Zifa signed.”
He added they had released allowances to be paid before the match and that other payments were in order.
The players, the source said, are pushing for payments before they play, dismissing claims that they signed contracts.
One Comment on “Warriors go on strike”
Football – CAN – the Threat of strike action for players of Zimbabwe before the CANJune 20, 2019 at 11:25 pm
[…] ZTN SPort and Newsday explain this on Thursday night that several members of the team refuse to train, and some have even already bought their plane ticket to return to the country. The ZIFA, for its part, has preferred to cut short the controversy. ” The negotiations are ongoing, but we have not had time to announce it, said Philemon Machana, a member of the board of directors in charge of finance. At the moment we are talking about, the ZIFA has signed contracts with all the players. “ According to other sources, the players concerned would have denied having signed anything. […]