At least 14 children aged between six months and 15 years have succumbed to measles following an outbreak in Zimbabwe.
The Ministry of Health and Child Care reports that 72 cases have so far been reported in Mutasa district, 30 km northeast of Mutare.
In a statement on Wednesday; “To date a total of 72 cases and 14 deaths have been reported. Of the reported cases, only 9 had been vaccinated.”
The outbreak comes as the World Health Organisation told the country to scale up routine immunization to avoid a resurgence of diseases such as measles and polio.
Speaking on the outbreak, World Health Organisation Country Representative, Dr Alex Gasasira said; “This is very concerning to us.
The situation, in terms of interruption and disruption of immunisation services by the pandemic is not unique to Zimbabwe, this has virtually affected most of the countries in the world especially our countries in our regions in Africa. All countries have to make concerted efforts to ramp up immunisation services to reach more children.”