The Zimbabwe Government will not complete constructing the mausoleum intended for former President Robert Mugabe, an official has said.
The grave was being constructed at the National Heroes Acre in the capital, Harare, until the Mugabe family settled on burying the ex-leader at his rural home, Zvimba, last Saturday.
Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services Deputy Minister Energy Mutodi told ZTN News, “We had already engaged Chinese contractors for the special grave. (However), the family had a change of mind after meeting with Julius Malema and influence through backdoor meetings with some former ministers.
“Government will decide whether there will be construction in future for any contingencies, but as for the former President, the special grave cannot continue. Government cannot use taxpayers’ money to construct a grave that will not be occupied. Otherwise; the system of burial at the National Heroes Acre is very convenient and we will stick to that.”
The Deputy Minister continued: “This has been a place on top of the hill. It was a strategic place for burial of high profile people in Government. If it does not find use like what has happened, obviously, it will be reassigned.
“The grave for the former President was marked and remarked. What then takes precedent is the final resting place. That is what we then respect in terms of our cultural values. The place can still be reassigned to some other people.”