Relief as Zim second suspected Covid-19 case tests negative

Top Stories Zimbabwe

Hanganani Nleya

THE Government of Zimbabwe has confirmed that the second suspected case of coronavirus in the country has tested negative.

In a tweet, the Ministry of Information, Publicity and Broadcasting Services said “Govt would like to update the nation that the traveller from Hunan province of China who was under observation at Wilkins hospital, has tested negative to the coronavirus (Covid-19).”

The first suspected case involved a 27-year-old Harare woman who also tested negative for the virus.

This time a 32-year-old Chinese national is under isolation at Wilkins hospital in Harare, after being flagged for the virus at Robert Gabriel Mugabe international airport on Sunday.

He was travelling from Hunan province in China.

Harare City Health Director Dr Prosper Chonzi also confirmed the new developments and said results of tests conducted on the patient came out negative last night, but samples have been sent to South Africa for further tests.

“The patient will remain in isolation”,added Dr Chonzi.

There have been more than 85 000 global cases, with infections on every continent, except Antarctica.

The virus is highly contagious and has no cure.

So far, only experimental treatments have been used in China with success in stabilising patients.