Health workers in Zimbabwe have rejected a 40 percent salary hike offered by their employer. The health workers met Government representatives on Thursday and agreed that their US$75 Covid-19 allowance will remain in place until December.
Earlier on Tuesday, nurses had called off a four-month job action, citing incapacitation.
They said they were giving dialogue with Government a chance.
Zimbabwe Nurses Association Secretary-General Enoch Dongo said nurses will report for duty as salary negotiations continue.
“We are happy about the stance that at least negotiations are now taking place and Government has come up with an offer. The offer is, however, unacceptable because it is too far short of our expectations.
“We have informed the Government that nurses will still continue reporting for duty. Those who are able to subsidise the Government by providing transport money and buying their own food are encouraged to go to work and continue saving lives.”
Health Services Board Chairperson Dr Paulinus Sikhosana confirmed the meeting took place but could not comment further, saying he was not in the office.